Aromatherapy is a natural therapeutic way of restoring physical, psychological and emotional wellbeing by using a range of essential oils; pure, organic plant extracts. It has become increasingly prominent in recent decades and many people have benefited from a range of aromatherapy products used to treat a wide range of ailments.
The use of plant derivatives in skin products is not a new phenomenon. More recently, however, people have begun to discover the benefits of using aromatherapy to treat acne.
Acne is a term used to describe a skin condition which leads to chronic spots and pimples. Although most commonly found in teenagers, acne can affect people of all ages. It’s not surprising that acne sufferers often find themselves with low self esteem and ready to try almost anything to find some relief from their skin condition. Although there are a range of prescription medications available, these tend to be very harsh and can have some very unpleasant side effects. The beauty of using aromatherapy to treat acne is that the treatment is completely natural and so free of side effects.
Which essential oils work best?
There are many different essential oils that have been found to be beneficial for skin. The oils that are believed to be the best for the treatment of acne are Tea Tree oil, Lavender oil, Helichrysum and Ylang Ylang; a blend of these oils has been found to be very effective. It’s important to note that undiluted essential oils should never be applied directly onto the skin. The oils should be blended with an appropriate carrier oil and then applied to the affected area using a cotton pad.
What will the essential oils actually do?
• Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and will not only kill bacteria present on the skin but will also help to prevent the development and spread of new bacteria.
• The lavender will help to unclog pores and keep them clear.
• The blend of oils will help skin to find a healthy balance rather than drying it out completely as some traditional acne treatments are inclined to do.
• The blend of oils will help to heal the skin, gradually reducing the appearance of scars often associated with acne.
It’s important to remember that although aromatherapy has been shown to be very effective in the treatment of acne, the results will not happen overnight; it’s not magic, it’s aromatherapy!
Try to be patient and persevere with the application of the essential oils. Here are a few more tips to help your skin heal:
• Avoid scrubbing or picking at spots or scars
• Try to make your lifestyle as healthy as possible. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and drink at least 8 glasses of water each day.
• Avoid stress wherever possible as this has been shown to exacerbate acne; make time for relaxation. Think about making aromatherapy baths part of your routine as these can aid relaxation, alleviate stress and promote a feeling of wellbeing.
With warmest blessings,